Why I left bittorrent sync

Hi,

Summary: I uninstalled btsync today from all my computers.  This post explains why.

Background: I'm a pretty competent computer user, I work in engineering, fix most of my friends' and family's computers, use windows, macos, linux, do a bit of open source code development from time to time and have written some iOS apps.

Today I decided enough was enough and I got rid of bittorrent sync from all my computers and went to syncthing.  I'm telling you my exact user experience and the reasons why, because I think you might find it valuable.

Firstly, my reason for joining was because of the unlimited size file sync facility.  I wanted an automated way to have backups for each machine in my house.  I had set up a server on a linux machine, and had all my devices sync to there via btsync.  Then I used rsnapshot to create read only snapshot of those mirror folders, e.g. daily0, daily1, 2, weekly0, weekly1, monthly0, monthly1, yearly 0, yearly1, etc.  That gave me a historical record of all files going back in time.  Shared the read only snapshot back onto the network and I had a full backup and recovery system that was accessible through windows shares (i.e. other people can understand it).  I was very happy.  Btsync gave the impression of being free and open.  A breath of fresh air compared with cloud storage.  I liked the easy sync with a simple code.  The future?!!

Then btsync got different.  It asked me to install a new version a few times, then it started saying I should upgrade to a pro version or something like that.  Some features weren't available in the free one but I could try the pro for a trial period.  What?  I didn't want that.  To me it translated as "please can btsync change (and possibly break) my backup system?".  The answer was no.  I kept ignoring.  The interface got more complex.  Lots of new features on the nag list.  But would this break something?  I didn't want any new features (except for possibly an encrypted-only node). Then my wife kept asking me "what is this popup every time we start the computer?"

Then I delved a bit deeper and realised that btsync has remained closed source, closed protocol.

It looked like btsync had sold out.  I decided I didn't want to be held to ransom by an organisation that may or may not exist in the future, and may or may not change its pricing.

If you are going to start charging me, please note that there is very little advantage of btsync over the others (dropbox etc).  And it doesn't work that well!  Sometimes it leaves failed sync files behind.  The sync speed is really not that important to me.

So I've uninstalled it all.  Including the remnants that didn't make it through my windows 10 upgrade properly.  Syncthing is lovely - very similar functionality but free.

Sorry fellas.  I haven't read all the forums and news so there's probably more to the story that I'm missing.  I'm writing from the point of view of a previously happy user, having been shown all these popups which turned me against the product.  You guys failed here with your user experience.

TLDR: From my point of view you started with something pure and easy, then you made it complicated and sold out.  Now I've found something pure and easy again.

Best regards,

D

Thank you for your in-depth analysis.

yes, with time Sync was getting more complex and new features were added, payable. The core of Sync Pro and Sync Free still remains the same, and syncing is still possible free of charge. I'm not sure which exactly popup you mean, perhaps the marketing ones, but purchasing Pro is not forced, and even more there is no ultimatum "either you pay or stop syncing". 

Sync has always been and still is closed source. It has much been discussed with all pros and cons here on forum.

BTW, if you don't like Sync v2, here's the link to Sync v1.4 . Downgrade is unfortunately is not possible, but this article may be of help .